Monday, November 19, 2012

film chat : the perks of being a wallflower


Finally this long awaited movie has arrived in Australian cinemas! 
If you follow this blog you might know that I read Perks not too long ago and posted some thoughts about the novel here. I was astounded by Stephen Chbosky's amazing writing talent and how invested I became in the characters of this YA coming of age story. 

I'm not going to do an in depth review on the movie or anything, there won't be any spoilers I don't think, just general things I observed. 
This adaptation was flawless! It was so well done; as a fan of the book I thought it was perfect and stunning and so beautifully and tastefully brought to cinema. If you didn't know, Stephen Chbosky himself directed and produced the film. 
Little secret: I was welling up during the opening credits! (and I cried, oh I cried - way more than I thought I would or should)


The casting was excellent, like seriously one of the best casts in my eyes. Paul Rudd as the English teacher was wonderful, Ezra Miller as Patrick was just 110% perfect, Emma Watson was a brilliant Sam (she exceeded my expectations - and I loved her a lot to begin with, so go figure), Charlie's parents were just right, and last but not in the slightest bit least, Logan Lerman. Oh, Logan. After the Three Musketeers, I was doubting him as an actor but OH MY GOD OH MY GOD he is the PERFECT Charlie. He is just so right for Charlie. And he did some darn good acting in this movie, let me tell you. I was stunned at how perfect for Charlie he is. 


I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD so I can see the deleted scene with Candace at the clinic. 
Oh, one scene I was looking forward to seeing was with the English teacher (Bill) when he invites Charlie to his house and Charlie meets his wife and Bill tells Charlie he's one of the most gifted people he had ever met. But that didn't happen in the movie. 

Perks was so brilliant.
It made me feel all the things I felt when reading the book. I really think that's the sign of a good film adaptation.
It also makes me want mixed tapes to be a thing again. 
Which reminds me, I need to buy the soundtrack stat!

1 comment:

Abbey said...

I completley agree with you on how well the actors were chosen, Patrick (Ezra) and Charlie (Logan) were so amazing and deffintley the stand-outs for me. I loved this movie so much but it made me a big blubbery mess!
-Abbey