Saturday, August 6, 2011

Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


Title: Wicked Lovely
Author: Melissa Marr
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 4 stars
Format: Paperback, 328 pages
Release Date: June 12, 2007
Publisher: Harper Collins
ISBN: 978-0-00-726307-3
Source: Bought 




Synopsis:
All teenagers have problems, but few of them can match those of Aislinn, who has the power to see faeries. Quite understandably, she wishes that she could share her friends' obliviousness and tries hard to avoid these invisible intruders. 
But one faery in particular refuses to leave her alone. Keenan the Summer King is convinced beyond all reasoning that Aislinn is the queen he has been seeking for nine centuries. What's a 21st-century girl to do when she's stalked by a suitor nobody else can see?

My Thoughts..

This intricate, captivating world of faeries is so well designed, and the novel so well-written, I have nothing but praise for Melissa Marr. Because of the Wicked Lovely series, she's become one of my favourite authors, creating stories so enthralling with a timeless style.
The book is not in first person, but even so I felt so strongly the struggles Aislinn was going through. The thoughts of Marr's characters were so well described and lucid - even amongst the slight confusion of a supernatural dimension, I could feel exactly what was happening, and that itself seemed like all that mattered. 
Let me just say... this faery world can be a bit hard to understand at first. I'm not sure if I understand it yet, to be honest. The Dark Court, the Winter and Summer Courts, the High Court - this whole system of government is a strain on the brain cells! I have so many questions. I'm assuming it will all be straightened out for me by the time I get to Darkest Mercy.
Wicked Lovely is a paranormal tale of dark attractions, forbidden desires, heartache, courage and a fight for love and life.


1 comment:

Abbey said...

I'm glad you liked this.
I've been tempted to buy it a few times but wasnt sure.
I do love the covers as well!
great review
-abbey